Projects : Non-Ferrous Processing Group
To develop an effective solvent extraction technology to selectively extract rare earth elements - Erbium (Er), Terbium (Tr), Europium (Eu), Praseodymium (Pr) Neodymium (Nd) and Dysprosium (Dy) from WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipments)
Sponsor: Indo-French Collaborative Project (CEIFPRA)
Objectives: Development of process parameters for selective leaching of rare earths metals from WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment - NdFeB magnet and fluorescent lamps)
Development of a Process for Production of Gadolinium Metal by Fused Salt Electrolysis of Gadolinium Chloride
Sponsor: IGCAR, Kalpakkam
- Optimization of process parameters of molten salt electrolysis for production of gadolinium metal.
- Technical feasibility for production of gadolinium metal in lab scale and scale-up design and operation of bench scale electrolytic cell.
- Production and supply of gadolinium metal to IGCAR, DAE, Kalpakkam.
- The process of production of gadolinium metal through fused salt electrolysis of gadolinium chloride is technically feasible at CSIR-NML Jamshedpur
- 500g of gadolinium metal with a purity of 99.7% was produced first time in India at CSIR-NML, Jamshedpur and was supplied to IGCAR Kalpakkam for their onward studies.
Sustainable Technologies for the Utilization of Rare Earths
Sponsor: CSIR XIIIth Five Year Plan
- Development of hydrometallurgical processes for the recovery of high purity rare earths from lighting (fluorescent) lamps
- Developed a process to selectively recover Y and Eu from waste phosphor powder by leaching with dilute acid.
- Developed process to produce high purity (>99%) red phosphor (Y, Eu)2O3 from the leach solution by oxalate precipitation.
- Developed a process to produce high pure terbium oxide (Tb4O7) from waste powder.
Production of high value products from ferric chloride effluents
Sponsor: TATA STEEL
Objectives: To develop an integrated flow sheet to produce variety of high value products such as premium grade iron oxide, monodispersed iron powder and soft ferrites etc.
- Integrated flow sheet was developed to produce various other high value products from iron chloride solution
- Various shape of pigment grade iron ore oxides were produced at high temperature synthesis techniques. The produced iron oxides of different shapes were further reduced to nano size monodispersed iron powder by hydrogen gas in the temperature range between 500-700oC.
Red oxide produced from Iron chloride
Superior grade pigment (right) produced
Monodispersed Cubic iron oxide
Monodispersed Cubic iron powder
Transfer Technology for Production of Pigment Grade Iron Oxide from Waste Chloride Pickle Liquor
Sponsor: TATA STEEL
Objectives: Transfer and commercialize the process for production of high-end red oxide pigment from waste and cheaper raw material.
- Under Process of Commercialization for production of high end iron oxide from ferrous chloride solution generated from the pickling process of steel. MoU has been signed with CSIR-NML for technology transfer.
- Highly monodispersed iron oxide particles of different sizes ranging from 100 nm to 600 nm were produced under different condition of precipitation
Red oxide produced from waste ferrous chloride solution
SEM micrographs of monodispersed nano iron oxide produced from pickle liquor.
Technology Development for Commercial Production of Sodium Metal
Sponsor: HWB, Mumbai; M/s Shree Rayalseema, Hi-Strength Hypo Ltd., Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh
- Based on CSIR-NML technology pilot scale 3000A cell setup installed at M/s Shree Rayalseema, Hi-Strength Hypo Ltd., Kurnool.
- Design, fabrication and operation of pilot scale cell.
- Based on the pilot scale study, scale up commercial plant of 12000A capacity will be setup.
NML 500A Sodium Cell
3000A pilot scale sodium cell at M/s SRHHL, Kurnool.
Extraction of metals from WEEE
Pure neodymium fluoride (NdF3) from scrap hard disk of computers recover
Recycling of used Li-ion batteries to metals/ salts of cobalt, copper, Lithium and manganese