Projects : Secondaries & Resources Utilization Group
Development of grinding aid for improving productivity of cement mill and development of performance improver to improve cement quality
Sponsor: SHREE CEMENT LIMITED, KOLKATA
- To develop a customized grinding aid suitable for the cement clinker by which the productivity of grinding mill should improve and consequently the energy consumption/ton of grinding cement should be reduced.
- To develop a customized performance enhancer suitable for the cement clinker of SCL by which the water demand (w/c ratio) of cement is reduced and consequently the compressive strength of cement is increased.
A grinding aid, which is cheap, and can improve the grinding efficiency without any deterioration in final product quality.
Technology development for geopolymer cement
Sponsor: TATA POWER
- To establish proof of concept at lab scale and up-scale to pilot plat for making geopolymer cement from fly ash.
- To prepare 20 tons of geopolymer cement, assist Tata Power Co Ltd to make a demonstration road using this cement and prepare a DPR for the production.
- A DPR for the production of 50 tons/day capacity geopolymer cement plant.
- Technology demonstration by producing 20 tons cement and making a demonstration road.
Upscaling (to 10 tpd) of Red mud Containing Geopolymer Paving Blocks
Sponsor: Department of Science and Technology, GOI.
- Upscale the lab scale process (developed at CSIR-National Metallurgical Laboratory, Jamshedpur) of making paving blocks (IS 15658 specification) from geopolymerisation of red mud along with fly ash to 10 ton/day.
- On field study of long term properties e.g. durability, longevity.
- Customization of the process to make geopolymer based hollow bricks.
- Process demonstration of pavers at 10 tpd scale.
- 100 ton of paving blocks and 5 ton of hollow bricks.
- Life cycle analysis of paver process (Cradle to Gate).
- DPR preparation for 100 tpd paver plant.
To find out suitable applications of various derivatives of LD slag
Sponsor: TATA STEEL
- Use of processed LD slag to develop porous material for heat and sound insulation panels.
- Use of processed LD slag to develop fiber reinforced composite material.
- Use of processed LD slag as white cement component.
- Process for (a) porous blocks by geopolymerisation, (b) tiles by geopolymerisation, and (c) quick setting grout from HPPI slag has been developed.
- Use of HPPI slag as filler in paint has been established.
Development and transfer of process/know-how on red mud containing geopolymer paving blocks
Sponsor: HINDALCO INDUSTRIES
- Evaluation of Hindalco red mud for geopolymer pavers.
- Technology transfer to Hindalco Customization of the process to make geopolymer based hollow bricks.
10 ton of red mud based geopolymer as product conforming to IS 15658
Recovery of Vanadium from Spent Sulfuric Acid Catalysts
Sponsor: HINDUSTAN ZINC LIMITED, UDAIPUR
Objectives: Develop an innovative hybrid hydrometallurgical process to extract min. 98% pure vanadium as vanadium pentaoxide from contact process based spent catalysts.
Achievements : >98.6% pure vanadium as Ammonium Metavanadate and V2O5 achieved on bench scale. Large Scale validation ongoing.
Studies on smelting of manganese ore in electric arc furnace
Sponsor: TATA STEEL
Objectives: To optimize the process variables in the production of low carbon (LC) Silico-manganese by smelting of manganese ore in EAF
- Optimized charge composition and smelting time essential to produce the silicomanganese alloy of a particular composition i.e LC Si-Mn with C<0.5%.
- The produced silicomanganese is useful for the production of special alloy steel wherever low carbon is required while alloy with manganese or silicon.
Smelting studies on ferro-chrome slag
Sponsor: TATA STEEL
Objectives: To study the smelting of ferrochrome slag in electric arc furnace to remove silica by carbothermic reduction.
- Useful to develop a technology for large scale processing of ferrochrome slag for utilization in the form of refractory materials.